Dividing features between people.

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Hi guys,

Posted about NUnit Test project template for ASP.NET MVC 3 http://bit.ly/fm96yx

Hope to post first code for PetShelter tomorrow,  right now I am trying to combine all the technologies we need to use in one place, and than will post it. It won't contain any functionalities yet, and now I'm trying to get my head around ASP.NET MVC 3.

I also will try to divide functionalities on groups of people. Say one functionality and the tests for this functionality will be addressed by 3 team members.

First we will address these 3 features:

1. User with different roles (shelter manager - need to be logged in, simple user - need to be logged in, just guests without need to log in). 
2. Adding dogs which are in shelter (cats perhaps) in database (we definitely need to store an image not just description) - this can be done only by shelter admin. 
3. Adding dogs which are lost - a signed in user could do that. May be a shelter admin too what do you think? 

Feature 1: Monomachus, appu1177, ranzitha, eldho

Feature 2: davidnguyen, efhayati, istevenr, aroy86

Feature 3: adnraus, tadeze, ujimani

How will we work together ?

Well, using Mercurial we will work on 3 different branches and than will integrate our work to master branch, integration should take place only if all tests passes and the majority of the team considers work done. 

Thats all for now thanks.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Hi,

great work, looking forward to downloading the source code and getting started!

- Anders

Coordinator
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Edited Jan 25, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Posted initial source code. Will try to implement SimpleMembershipProvider ASAP so we could use it with Code First. (http://utahdnug.org/blogs/osbornm/archive/2010/07/21/using-simplemembership-with-asp-net-webpages.aspx)

Also for inspiration you can take a look at http://blog.cdeutsch.com/2010/11/watchedit-mvc3-razor-ef4-code-first.html (source code at: https://github.com/crdeutsch/WatchedIt/)

Now to the work guys :).

P.S. Please check-in your branches too. So we could see the progress on all branches (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/codeplex/archive/2010/02/12/associating-change-sets-to-releases-and-displaying-mercurial-branches-tags.aspx), if you need help please write to me, I'll try to assign someone from the team or I will try to help you myself.

P.S.S. I will publish the project on February 6th. If you got something to share with everyone please do it.

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Just a quick note to let you know I've downloaded and built the code. No problems so far, all tests are green.

Will now spend some time going through this tutorial to get to know Code First better.

Developer
Jan 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Are we using IRC or Jabber or IMs or something like?

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM
Edited Jan 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM

We can use Skype if everyone agrees, so what do you think?

 

Developer
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Just a question, how each team work on the feature? For example Feature 2 is for our team, so every one should implement by himself and then integrate? plz let me know.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Edited Jan 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Well, first you'll need to work on the same branch that's obvious. Once it's created you pull it to your local Mercurial repository and when work with it

Second you should communicate to kinda know what each one will be doing, so please divide functionalities between you:

Example (on feature 2): Adding dogs which are in shelter (cats perhaps) in database

1. First of all you need to be all agree on Model side, what kinda properties it would have, etc. And it should be created so you could share it.

2. Unit Test for the model, validation cases, which initially could fail but then these will be green too.

3. Dev 1 does the create and edit thing (these are similar)

4. Someone does the listing thing and pagination thing (you could generate Fake data using Faker.codeplex.com and populate your database with it to test listing and pagination).

5. Someone does details page. 

I think what we need to do something like week meeting with all teams. People who agree please send me your skype username and an email address in a private message.

Developer
Jan 29, 2011 at 6:13 AM

Hi guys,

@efhayati asks how each team will work on the feature? What do we suggest about this shall we work on ourselves for instance how about the model design, should we have common model or are we going to design our own model for each team in the branch ?

We need to clarify this idea.

Coordinator
Jan 29, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Guys please checkout this link to choose a time for our meeting  http://doodle.com/h4ptqrsymzs55qba 

Coordinator
Jan 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Ok, guys first attempt of meeting wasn't quite successful the only thing that I could do is to talk in particularly to 2 persons, eldho and efhayati. Also there was a try to talk with tadeze but it didn't go quite well. 

We discussed lots of things a resume you can see at documentation page.

Developer
Feb 3, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Sorry could not attend the meeting. Been busy this weekend. Can anyone explain me the difference between "Type Of Pet" and "Category" as described in the model.

Developer
Feb 4, 2011 at 2:37 AM

check this http://petshelter.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Pet Type %26 Category